French Peas with Bacon, known as "Grašak sa Slaninom" in Croatia, is a classic French dish that has been adopted and adapted by Croatian chefs. This dish features tender peas, slowly cooked with bacon, onions, and garlic, in a creamy white wine sauce. It's a simple yet delicious dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home.
The origins of Grašak sa Slaninom can be traced back to the French dish, "Petits Pois à la Française", which is a classic French side dish made with fresh or frozen peas, bacon, and butter. As French cuisine became more popular in Croatia, local chefs began to adapt the dish to suit their own tastes and ingredients, thus Grašak sa Slaninom was created.
One of the most important things to note when making Grašak sa Slaninom is the quality of the peas. Fresh peas are best, but frozen peas can also be used. The peas are cooked with bacon, onions, and garlic, which gives the dish a rich, smoky flavor. The final touch is the addition of white wine, which adds a depth of flavor and a nice acidity to the dish.
This dish is typically served as a side dish, but can also be enjoyed as a main course with a side of potatoes or bread. It's a perfect side dish for grilled meats or fish, and it's also a great option for vegetarians and vegans.
In conclusion, Grašak sa Slaninom is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner at home. It's a dish that has its roots in French cuisine, but has been adapted and embraced by Croatian chefs, making it a beloved dish in Croatia. If you ever have the chance to try it, don't hesitate, you won't regret it!
French Peas with Bacon (Grašak sa Slaninom)
Selo Olive Oil
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen peas
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and onion. Sauté the onion until it is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the peas and stir to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Season the peas with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the bacon to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Serve the French Peas with Bacon as a side dish or over rice.