The Delight of Grilled Meat Skewers (Ražnjići) with Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Our culinary journey today takes us to the realm of one of Croatia's most beloved traditional dishes - Ražnjići, or Grilled Meat Skewers. Originated in the Balkans, Ražnjići is a versatile and widely-loved dish. It involves skewering chunks of marinated meat, typically beef or pork, and grilling them to sizzling perfection. While it became popular in Croatia, its fame spread, and now it is a fixture on barbecue menus around the world.
In America, Ražnjići has captured food lovers' hearts as a star attraction of summer barbecues or as a smoky, savory dinner option. It can be served hot off the grill with a variety of side dishes, emphasizing its adaptability. You can thread vegetables, seafood, or different types of meat customize your Ražnjići to your palate.
Our take on the Grilled Meat Skewers starts with cubes of pork or beef marinated in a mixture of minced garlic, Selo Olive Oil, fresh lemon juice, and paprika. This marinated meat is threaded onto skewers, then grilled until just-right. To couple this delightful meat dish, we serve it with a crisp Cucumber and Tomato Salad, drenched in a light dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, with salt and pepper seasoning. The final result is a combination of smoky, hearty skewers with a refreshing, tangy salad - a meal sure to fulfill and excite your taste buds.
Addressing some Grilled Meat Skewers (Ražnjići) FAQs
Can you replace pork/beef with other meats for Ražnjići?
The beauty of Ražnjići lies in its adaptability. While the traditional dish calls for beef or pork, you could easily swap these for chicken, lamb, or even a mix of these. Just adjust your grilling time to suit the meat you choose.
How long should the meat be marinated for Ražnjići?
For maximum flavor, it's best to marinate the meat for at least 2 hours. However, you can also leave it in the marinade overnight to infuse the flavors even more deeply.
Are there specific vegetables had with Ražnjići?
The choice of sides can vary according to taste. In our recipe, we suggest a vibrant Cucumber and Tomato Salad. The fresh, tangy flavors of the salad complement the grilled skewers perfectly.
Do you need a grill for making Ražnjići?
A grill certainly gives Ražnjići its characteristic smoky flavor. But if you don’t own one, a grill pan or broiler can act as worthy alternatives.
We hope you enjoy the combined delight of Grilled Meat Skewers and Cucumber and Tomato Salad, made rich and authentic with Selo Olive Oil, a Croatian delight. Happy cooking!
Grilled Meat Skewers (Ražnjići) with Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Selo Olive Oil
- 1.5 pounds of boneless pork or beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 pound of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of Selo Croatian olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
For the Grilled Meat Skewers (Ražnjići):
For the Cucumber and Tomato Salad:
- Marinate the Meat: In a large bowl, combine the cubed meat, minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss well to ensure the meat is evenly coated. Cover the bowl and let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Prepare the Skewers: If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning. Thread the marinated meat onto the skewers.
- Grill the Skewers: Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill the skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side, until the meat is nicely browned and cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Prepare the Salad: While the skewers are grilling, make the salad. In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red onion. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
- Serve: Serve the grilled meat skewers hot, alongside the cucumber and tomato salad. Garnish the salad with fresh parsley.
The type of meat used for ražnjići can vary. Pork and beef are common, but you can also use chicken or lamb. Adjust the cooking time as necessary for different types of meat.